Friday, April 21, 2006
Madeleines are French tea cakes baked in a shell-shaped mold. The batter are made with a combination of butter, sugar, eggs, flour, and are traditionally flavored with lemon or orange flower water. For me, i use lemon/orange zest. These small little cakes are often dipped in tea or coffee.
This is a modified recipe, yield abt 24 pcs. Here it is!
160g Caster Sugar
200g Cake Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
200g melted butter (use unsalted)
Lemon / Orange zest (grated/chopped finely) – (I use about half of it. You can add more if you want)
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
1. Beat eggs & sugar in a mixing bowl till light & fluffy.
2. Add in sifted dry ingredients (flour + baking powder) and mix well.
3. Mix in melted butter and lemon/orange zest.
4. Pre-heat oven at 180C.
5. Lightly grease madeleines mould/pan and spoon batter 3/4 filled the mould/pan.
6. Bake for abt 15 mins till golden brown. *(10 mins at 180C and 5 mins at 160C)
7. Cool madeleines on tray.